Saturday, June 02, 2012

Parenting Style


With all the stuff that has been going around after the Time magazine article on attachment parenting I appreciate this article titled: Breast-feeding Older Children: How Weird or Normal Is It?.  You don't have to subscribe to all or nothing of a parenting style.  I consider my parenting style to be somewhat attached...  I nursed all my kids past a year, each of them slept in a bassinet in my room for the first few months then transitioned to a crib when they started sleeping through the night... and while I nursed on demand in the beginning, we eventually developed a pattern/schedule that worked for us.  I like the idea of baby-wearing but with two special needs kids I seriously have to use my stroller anywhere we go.  So, I say all that to demonstrate that each family, each child is different and we need to find what works for our unique fam.

While I do not think there is a perfect parenting "style", I do believe that there are instructions laid out for parents that we should aspire to. Here are just a few:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.


Proverbs 29:17 Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul. 

I have much to learn on this parenting journey that I am on.  But I know that every step of the way He is watching over my children and I and bringing us closer to Him. He knows my faults and He helps me to pick up the pieces when I make mistakes, and He encourages me to do better next time.  No matter what label people might try to put on their parenting... we should all try to be godly examples to our children. I mean, what more important thing is there to pass on to them?



No comments: