Thursday, March 06, 2014

Sticks and Stones

I had a conversation the other day with a dear friend as we were just relaxing and watching our kids play.  We somehow randomly got on the topic of how hurtful words stick in your mind and sometimes even effect the choices that you make.  We even remembered specifically that there were things that other people had said to us that kept us from becoming friends when she first began attending our church.  What a shame that we missed out on a great friendship for that period of time when we both could have used it.

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. – Proverbs 12:18 (NIV)


While it is good and wise to seek council from other believers and use it to help us make choices in our life when needed, we should not let the negativity of others effect our decisions.  We should seek His council above all others'. 

“Words are like eggs dropped from great heights; you can no more call them back than ignore the mess they leave when they fall.”  ― Jodi Picoult, Salem Falls 

As I've been thinking about the scenario above I am ashamed of myself.  I let the careless words of someone keep me from reaching out to the "new girl".  What was I thinking at that time?  What made me put so much value in those words that it stopped me from welcoming a fellow believer into our church and into my home?

“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” – Proverbs 15:1, ESV 

I am focusing on intentionally building relationships this year, both growing and nurturing old friendships, but also reaching outside my comfort zone and making new ones as well.  And naturally, my words are a big part of how that happens.  I want my words to be encouraging and uplifting to those who hear and read them.  I hope and pray that I will have an increased awareness of the impact my words may have on those around me.


“Words have power," Isaac answered. Words begin and end wars. They create and destroy families. They break hearts. They heal them. If you have the right words, there's nothin on earth you can't do." ― Lori Handeland, Crave The Moon

 

No comments: